Judo belt requirements: White to Yellow.by Ryan Gregory, May 5th, 2013
There is lots of information online about Judo techniques and curricula, but I thought it would be useful (for me, at least) to have some of this material combined in one place. For example, here is a summary of the belt requirements for White (6th kyu) to Yellow (5th kyu), based on the Judo Canada syllabus. The animations are from the excellent site JudoInfo.com which is run by Neil Ohlenkamp. Clicking on a technique name will link to a YouTube video.
|Osoto-otoshi||Large outer drop||
|Osoto-gari||Large outer reap|
|Uki-goshi (or o-goshi or tsuri-goshi)||Floating half-hip throw (or full hip throw or lifting hip throw)|
|Ippon seio-nage||One arm shoulder throw|
|Deashi-barai||Advanced foot sweep|
|Ouchi-gari||Large inner reap||
|Kouchi-gari or kouchi-gake||Small inner reap||
|Kosoto-gake or kosotogari||Small outer reap or small outer hook||
|Kesa-gatame / kuzure-kesa-gatame||Scarf hold / broken scarf hold|
|Yoko-shiho-gatame||Side four quarter hold|
|Escapes from kesa-gatame|
|Escapes from yoko-shiho-gatame|
|Basic attack and defense|
|Shizen Hontai; Migi/Hidari Shizentai||Basic posture (left and right)|
|Jigo Hontai:Migi/Hidari Jigotai||Defensive posture (left and right)|
|Tai-sabaki; Tsugi-ashi||Body movement|
|Kuzushi||Breaking opponent’s balance|
|Tsukuri||Turning into the throw|
|Kake||Executing the throw|
- 9 of the specified 9 techniques performed in motion. Chosen goshi-waza must be performed to the right and left.
- Serving as uke for the tori attempting a grading examination.
- Minimum of 15 weeks of practice 2 x 120 minutes /week, as a white belt.
- Knowledge of Judo origin and history.
- Fitness goals: 20 full push-ups; 30 modified sit-ups, 20 burpees in 60 seconds.